Background[modifier | modifier le wikicode]
Once a small resort, Cottonwood Cove was adopted by the Legion as an outpost, used for trafficking captured people to Arizona for slave processing and as a launching point for all Legion raiding operations in southern Mojave. It has since become the largest Legion encampment on the west side of the Colorado River and is their foothold into Nevada, using the river to transfer trooper and supplied to Fortification Hill on the east bank. This was made possible by the sabotage of Camp Searchlight, organized by Vulpes Inculta. When the camp fell and the NCR's presence in the region waned, an outpost was set up at Cottonwood Cove to handle all Legion operations in the area. All communication to and from Cottonwood Cove is handled through boats.
Centurion Aurelius of Phoenix is stationed here as commander. With just two contubernia at his command (16 legionaries), he managed to kill and capture over four times more people than he has at his disposal (64 in total).
Layout[modifier | modifier le wikicode]
To the south are several buildings with random loot, with the mess hall on the docks in the river. In the center of camp is the two story head quarters with tents just north of this building. Prime Legionaries (and later into the game Veteran Legionaries) patrol near the Headquarters with several patrols each consisting of a Legion explorer and a Legion mongrel covering all access points. Aurelius of Phoenix can be found in the second story of the headquarters building.
To the south there is the Cottonwood Overlook where you can easily pick off legionaries with a scoped weapon. This is highly recommended for those wishing to avoid an all-out brawl; the legionaries will usually remain cautious at most but not attack, allowing for multiple deadly sneak attack criticals. On the cliff by Cottonwood Overlook is an abandoned truck from San Onofre with copious amounts of nuclear waste. A lockpick skill of 50 will open the back and release the radioactive contents on the encampment, killing all the inhabitants. Although the legionnaires and everyone else in the area are killed instantly, the actual radiation level in the area is very low and does not prevent the player from entering the area afterwards.
Buildings[modifier | modifier le wikicode]
- Cottonwood Cove HQ
- Cottonwood Cove mess hall
- Cottonwood Cove storage
- Cottonwood Cove restroom
- Cottonwood Cove shack
Inhabitants[modifier | modifier le wikicode]
- Anders, a crucified Great Khan.
- Aurelius of Phoenix, centurion leader.
- Decanus Severus, second in command.
- Canyon Runner, slavemaster.
- Cursor Lucullus, ferryman.
- Kenny Weathers, slave and son to Mrs. Weathers.
- Mrs. Weathers, slave.
- Sammy Weathers, slave and daughter to Mrs. Weathers.
Notable loot[modifier | modifier le wikicode]
- Recompense of the Fallen, a Lad's Life and Legion patrol notes in the desk in Aurelius of Phoenix's office.
- Grognak the Barbarian on the nightstand in Aurelius of Phoenix's office.
- Legion raid plans in one of the filing cabinets in Cottonwood Cove HQ.
- Inside the ladies bathroom there is a Sunset Sarsaparilla star bottle cap on a shelf.
- Inside the men's bathroom there is a Future Weapons Today magazine on the floor.
Related quests[modifier | modifier le wikicode]
- Aba Daba Honeymoon - Anders, a Great Khans gang member can be found crucified on the road into the cove. Free him to complete the objective "Find Jack and Diane's missing drug runner."
- Eye for an Eye - The camp must be destroyed and/or bugged for a reward by Astor the NCR Army sergeant located at Camp Searchlight.
- Left My Heart - Free Mrs. Weathers, Kenny Weathers and Sammy Weathers from enslavement.
- Render Unto Caesar - You must go through Cottonwood Cove to take the barge to The Fort.
- Arizona Scavenger - Collect NCR dogtags for Aurelius of Phoenix or Alexus
- Caching in at the Cove - Attack Legion enemies to gain Legion Fame
Notes[modifier | modifier le wikicode]
- When approaching the village with Boone, he informs you that this is a Legion slave camp, that he has been here before, and he will kill everything in it. After every legionnaire in the camp is killed, Boone will sometimes express disappointment that there were not more of them. This also advances progress to opening I Forgot to Remember to Forget.
- If you have destroyed the Cove with radiation, Cursor Lucullus will still be waiting to ferry you across the river after you obtain the Mark of Caesar, wearing a radiation suit.
- It is possible to find chems in the centurion's office. This may mean that the Legion's theoretical anti-drug policy is beginning to break down in places, but the chems might also have been confiscated from Anders and other captives.
- If you have killed Mrs. Weathers, Kenny Weathers and Sammy Weathers in Cottonwood Cove, the Legionaries in and around the area will become hostile towards you. Even being idolized by Caesar's Legion will not change the Legionaries mood.
- If you choose to release the radioactive barrels upon Cottonwood Cove without freeing the Weathers Family, the family will be killed and the quest Left My Heart will be failed.
- If the Courier elects to fire Ulysses' missiles at the Legion, the boat to Dry Wells is located here.
Appearances[modifier | modifier le wikicode]
Cottonwood Cove appears only in Fallout: New Vegas.
Behind the scenes[modifier | modifier le wikicode]
- Cottonwood Cove is an actual camping area and marina on Lake Mojave, 40 miles, roughly an hour, south of Las Vegas. It is home to the Cottonwood Cove Resort and Marina on Lake Mohave.
- "Romanes Eunt Domus" is painted on the side of the Cottonwood Cove HQ, a reference to Monty Python's The Life of Brian.
Bugs[modifier | modifier le wikicode]
- (Platformes|ps3|xbox360) Sometimes the crucified slaves will disappear from the crosses.
Gallery[modifier | modifier le wikicode]
- FalloutNV 2010-10-27 21-10-04-66.png
- FalloutNV 2010-10-27 21-10-22-56.png
Above the water
- FalloutNV 2010-10-27 21-10-51-92.jpg
Welcome to Cottonwood Cove
- The Courier: "Consider it done."
Astor: "What?.. Really?! You're mad, but I like it! According to the notes you gave me, all of the southern raiding parties come from that camp. Caesar regularly sends fresh squads to relieve patrols. Killing their Centurion and leadership would be a start, but finding a way to permanently shut down that dock is what we really need."
- Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition p.423-424: "[6.20] Cottonwood Cove
The largest encampment of Legion forces on the western side of the Colorado River, these Arizonan slavers have a foothold in Nevada, and use this position to bring in troops and supplies from Caesar's main base on Fortification Hill. As you approach, you can see a once-picturesque river camp, you're stopped by a Legionary explorer, who wants to know why you're here. You can:
Soon afterword, you can pass by some crucified Wastelanders, and all are beyond help. If Side Quest: Aba Daba Honeymoon or Oh My Papa are active, one of the slaves is a man named Anders who you can rescue as part of either Quest. Now enter the camp."
(Fallout: New Vegas Official Game Guide Collector's Edition Tour of the Mojave Wasteland)
- The Courier: "You must be the one in charge here."
Aurelius of Phoenix: "Of course I am, you fool. I am a Centurion! When Vulpes Inculta drove the NCR from Searchlight by clever means, Caesar himself ordered me to set up this camp and harass the Profligates! It's a modest presence, a single finger of the Legion reaching across the river's narrows. But with me here, it has an iron knuckle."
(Aurelius of Phoenix's dialogue)
- The Courier: "Does the Legion see much action here?"
Aurelius of Phoenix: "As much as the Profligates' cowardice will allow. They haven't found the balls to attack us here, but we catch them out on patrols. With two contubernia at my command, I've killed and captured four times my numbers."
(Aurelius of Phoenix's dialogue)